Nigella Sativa is a herb plant which is known widely as traditional medicine. In Asia, it is sometimes called Habbatussauda, while in English, it has several name such as black cumin, fennel flower, nutmeg flower, Roman coriander, blackseed or black caraway. This plant is superb, even becomes the most popular medicinal plant in the world.
Nigella sativa is originated from Mediterranean, and then it spreads to various countries, including Asia. It has small filamentous shape with less than 3 mm and is included in the buttercup family (Ranunculaceae).
There are two varians of Nigella Sativa; a bluish purple and white varian. The Arabian have known Nigella Sativa more than 2,000 years ago. They use this plant to treat various health problems, such as toothache, flu, joints sore, or other heavy diseases.
The advantage of Nigella Sativa
According to Dr. Kopok Stanley from University of Arizona, USA, “Nigella Sativa has an important role in tumor and cancer prevention. On its use in a long time, the Black Seed Oil strengthens the immune system. Moreover, it can accelerate cell division. ”
Noted from ILoveIndia website, here are 10 health benefits of Nigella sativa.
- Nigella sativa extract is useful as an anti-hypertensive and anti-parasitic.
- Nigella sativa is useful as a cure of diseases associated with circulatory, respiratory system and immune system, intestinal disorders, kidney disorders and even liver.
- Nigella Sativa seeds have been shown to cure asthma, bronchitis, rheumatism and cold symptoms.
- Nigella sativa also providing health benefits such as increasing arousal of the body, stimulates menstruation, increasing milk production in nursing mothers and increasing milk flow.
- Nigella sativa seed oil is able to calm the nervous system, help expediting the digestive process.
- Nigella sativa stimulates the body’s energy and helps recovering someone from fatigue and restore the lost energy.
- Nigella sativa is able to treat some skin diseases or disorders such as allergies, eczema, psoriasis, acne, and ulcers.
- Nigella sativa oil encourages the production of marrow bones and cells for the immune system, increasing interferon production, protects normal cells of the interference of the virus, and capable of killing tumor cells.
- Nigella sativa seed is also beneficial as a cure flatulence, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, constipation and dysentery.
- One teaspoon of Nigella Sativa seed oil, mixed with honey and consumed on a regular basis along with the breakfast, lunch and dinner, will make the body immune from the disease.
With the content of linoleic acid (Omega 6) and linolenic acid (Omega 3), Nigella Sativa becomes one of the best nutrient for the brain cells that are useful to improve memory, intelligence, and the relativity of brain cells in order not to go senile quickly. It also improves the blood circulation to the brain and is particularly suitable given to children in the growing age and the elderly.
Elements contained in Nigella Sativa called Sapion has good functions such as; corticosteroids can affect carbohydrate, protein and fat as well as affect the functioning of the heart, kidney, muscle, and nerves. Sapion serves to defend against environmental changes, sleep disorders, relieve stress, and smooth milk (research Potchestroom, 1989)
After knowing the advantages of Nigella Sativa, it must be great to plant this herb at our home.